KonMari Madness

You guys, moving and KonMari have taken over my life! It's SO EXCITING. While Jason and I haven't found our perfect home just yet, we're moving from our current apartment in Renton to my a temporary place smack dab in the middle of the city and lemmetellyou, it's a dreamboat of a place. Within walking distance of SO many restaurants! Grocery store just down the street! Ideal area for walking! Nightlife! Yoga studios! Book stores! Crystal shops! Chocolate bars! Burger places! Pho! Thai! Greek! Mexican! Pizza! Doughnuts! Thrift stores! Ahhhhh! My brain is going to explode with all the possibilities! It's like we get to redo our 20s in this place. The years we've been in Renton can be relived up here in Capitol Hill. Welcome to Seattle in all of its beautiful and vibrant hipster glory. 

So, we've just started packing up our stuff in Renton and I've been waiting for this moment to test out my skills of tidying up (KonMari-style, like I was sayin'). It's all about choosing what you want to keep instead of deciding what you want to toss. What gives you complete and utter joy? It is HARD for me to decide what I absolutely LOVE. (I literally spent the entire hour of my therapy session today discussing the difficulty I have when faced with discarding my stuff...especially my clothing.) I realized that I'm undeniably attached to my clothes. And why shouldn't I be? I AM a stylist, after all. They are a part of my identity. In the same vein, I like to thrift shop and make something beautiful out of items that people no longer want. I mean, I remember the price of almost every piece of clothing I own. I remember where I bought it, who I was with when I bought it, and what kind of thrill the item gave me when I found it. I remember what I like to wear with it, what outfits made me feel beautiful and which made me feel sort of unkempt. When I pull a piece of clothing out of my closet, it's a part of my story -- I think about what I was doing the last time I wore it and how I felt. It represents a piece of me. So, it's difficult for me to think about discarding pieces of myself, especially when I think about how intimately bonded I am with each of them.

That being said, I have already discarded 18 garbage bags of clothes and shoes. And I haven't even started on my beauty stuff or my kitchen stuff or my komono ("miscellaneous"). Let me walk you through the process (so far) in pictures...

Is this picture pixilated weird on your computer or phone, too?

The pile of just my tops

The hangers. Anyone need hangers?

My shoes. Aie.

Halfway through

Still wading through tops

Things are getting a bit weird

Just the bags to be sold at Buffalo Exchange

I'm still going at it. I'll let you know how it turns out!

A while ago on Friday, we finished up with Neon Week and I wore a cute florescent number with a jean jacket. I really like the color combo and I especially like the casual addition of the Birks.


Jacket: Thrifted (Gap) -- $10
Tank: Thrifted -- $1
Skirt: Thrifted (Old Navy) -- $4
Shoes: Birkenstocks -- $135
-----------------------------------
Outfit Total: $150






Unpolished fingers and toes is my new thang


Two weeks ago, the theme was Prepster to celebrate (?!) back to school! (Can you even believe it?) My Monday outfit included a cable knit cardigan, but I forgot to photograph it. The tucked-in shirt makes my legs look longer because (remember?) it shows a bit of my crotch and defines my waist.


Blouse: Thrifted -- $4
Pants: Thrifted -- $8
Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell -- $120
-------------------------
Outfit Total: $132






Tuesday, I went for a preppy school girl look with a faux suede skirt and a plaid blouse. And the boots! Who can forget those outfit-altering boots? I love the over-the-knee (OTK) look, especially  when the boots are flat.


Blouse: Target -- $22
Skirt: H&M -- $15
Boots: Frye -- $250 
------------------------
Outfit Total: $287








For Wednesday's look, I went a little more tomboy (and yet still summery) with a blazer and white pants. Notice the color combo with those neutral oxfords. So chic, right? I was excited about the outfit with that pop of coral lip!


Blazer: Thrifted (H&M) -- $8
Blouse: H&M (on sale) -- $7
Pants: Citizens of Humanity -- $180
Shoes: Cynthia Rowley (on sale) -- $40
------------------------------------
Outfit Total: $235






On Thursday, I went for straight up British equestrian with a skirt that features horse jockey items! Look closely at the skirt picture and you might be able to see the images. I bought this skirt some time ago (thrifted, of course) and it was really long -- almost to my ankles -- and super unflattering for my shape. I had a coworker hem it above my knees and VOILA! Instantly better. Those vertical stripes create a longer leaner line. (That being said, remember that fit trumps pattern. Horizontal stripes are NOT the enemy!) And those shoes. MY FAVORITE. Vintage, too, which I'm super proud of.


Blouse: Target -- $13
Skirt: Thrifted -- $4
Shoes: Thrifted -- $18
---------------------
Outfit Total: $35






See the sweet little hats and saddles?


Friday, I did a preppy '70s look (it's that mustard sweater, yo) with a sweater, cropped slacks, and penny loafers. THOSE LOAFERS. I love them with all of my heart. (You'll probably be hearing more about how much I love my clothes now that I've deliberately chosen to keep them based on how much I love them.)


Jacket: Thrifted (Gap) -- $10
Sweater: Thrifted (vintage) -- $5
Pants: Gap (on sale) -- $33
Shoes: Thrifted (Dexter) -- $5
----------------------------
Outfit Total: $53








I'll show you last week's outfits tomorrow. Then, early on Wednesday morning, I'll be hitting the road: I'm going to a dear friend's wedding in Savannah! Such a great city. Expect lots of pictures come next week! 

Oh, and for the month of September, Wardrobe Theme Weeks are going on hiatus! Have fun doing a bit of freestyle!

XOXOXOXOXOXO!

Comments

Popular Posts